The Pandemic Gives Us Permission To Get What We Always Wanted
The Pandemic Gives Us Permission To Get What We Always Wanted by Charles Hugh Smith for Of Two Minds
Dear Corporate America: maybe you remember the old Johnny Paycheck tune? Let me refresh your memory: take this job and shove it.
Put yourself in the shoes of a single parent waiting tables in a working-class cafe with lousy tips, a worker stuck with high rent and a soul-deadening commute–one of the tens of millions of America’s working poor who have seen their wages stagnate and their income becoming increasingly precarious / uncertain while the cost of living has soared.
Unemployment and the federal stimulus bonus of $600 a week are far more than your regular wages, including tips. Exactly why do you want to go back to your miserable job and low pay? Why wouldn’t you take time off and enjoy life a little, which is what you’ve been wanting to do for years?
Indeed–why not? The pandemic is giving many permission to get what they always wanted. Consider these examples:
1. The Federal Reserve has always pined for the power to bail out the top .01% / the New Nobility the way they deserve, with unlimited money-printing and the Fed being able to buy every rigged, fraudulent asset spewed by the New Nobility’s financial and corporate predators and parasites.
Yee-haw, the pandemic genie granted your wish: there’s no limits on how many trillions you can shove into the greedy maw of the top .01%, and bail out every single one of their predatory, exploitive, legalized looting bets that went south.
2. Local officials always wanted to commandeer some motels and shove the homeless into them, to clear the sidewalks and parks and then claim “homeless problem solved.” Presto, your wish has been granted.
3. Central government authorities have always resented all those pesky civil liberties restraints on their unquenchable desires to control every tiny aspect of life, public and private, and now–voila, the doors to Petty Authoritarian Heaven have opened. Question our authority? A tenner in the gulag for you, Doubter of All That Is Great and Good.
4. Restaurant owners who on camera always have to say how much they love their customers and business, never mind the money, who secretly have come to loathe their over-entitled, self-absorbed, dilettante customers and are sick and tired of the soaring rent, business licenses, insurance, payroll taxes and costs of ingredients.
You know what, pal? Here’s the keys, you can re-open whatever the heck you want, I’m outta here. I’ve been secretly wishing I could get out from underneath this crushing burden and get my life back. Yes, it was exciting way back when, but now it’s nothing but an endless grind that wasn’t making money even before the pandemic.
5. Since the financiers, Big Tech mini-gods and stock buyback crowd have looted and pillaged their way to immense fortunes by lying, cheating, conniving and gaming, why not follow the money just like the predators and parasites at the top of the heap?