How the Hell Is This in Any Way, Shape or Form Proportional to the Actual Threat?
How the Hell Is This in Any Way, Shape or Form Proportional to the Actual Threat? by Rob Slane for Anti-Empire
Corona isn’t even any longer considered a “high consequence infectious disease”
On 23rd March, the British Government put the entire country on lockdown risking incalculable consequences that could bring:
- Economic meltdown
- The mother of all financial crashes
- Millions of job losses
- Thousands of businesses going to the wall
- Masses of people plunged into poverty
- A huge deterioration in the mental health of millions
- The potential deaths of thousands of old people left on their own with no carers (see the example of the Spanish care homes)
- Mass civil unrest
Such enormous risks can surely only be justified if they are proportionate to threat. Are they?
The most astonishing thing I have seen or heard over the last few days — and there’s a lot to choose from — is something that appears on the Government’s own website. There, it shows that on 19th March, four days before the lockdown announcement, a decision was taken to downgrade Covid-19 from a “High Consequence Infectious Disease”, which it had been listed as since January, basically because more information was now known about it and because:
“in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall)”!