WHO Turns On China, Demands To Know How Nearly 2,000 Doctors Were Infected With COVID-19
WHO Turns On China, Demands To Know How Nearly 2,000 Doctors Were Infected With COVID-19 from Zero Hedge
- China says 1,716 medical workers have been infected
- WHO demands to know more about sick doctors, insists group of 12 virus experts will reach Beijing over the weekend
- Singapore reports largest daily jump in cases amid increased human-to-human transmission
- Egypt confirms first case; virus now present in 29 countries/territories
- Hong Kong reports 3 new cases
- Hubei’s new party boss orders quarantine tightened
- President Xi touts new “biosecurity law”
- Hong Kong Disney land offers space for quarantine
- Chinese company says blood plasma of recovered patients useful in combating the virus
- US mulling new travel restrictions
- Japan reports 4 new cases; one patient recently returned from Hawaii.
- CDC Director: Virus is “Coming” to the US.
* * *
Update (1200ET): Bloomberg just reported that Egypt has confirmed its first coronavirus case.
- EGYPT CONFIRMS FIRST CORONAVIRUS CASE, HEALTH MINISTRY SAYS AFFECTED PERSON IS A FOREIGNER – STATE TV
That’s the 29th country or territory to report at least one case of the coronavirus. It’s not yet clear where the patient might’ve been infected.
* * *
Update (1040ET): The WHO has just wrapped up its now-daily presser for Friday, and it appeared to focus on imminent plans to send a group of a dozen scientists and researchers to Beijing to figure out exactly what the hell is going on.
Much fuss has been made over the past week over China’s continued refusals to allow Americans, or any other foreigners, for that matter, to offer assistance with the virus response. It’s almost as if they’re…hiding something…
Even after yesterday’s big reveal about the change in their ‘pro forma accounting standards’ to reflect a higher death toll and number of confirmed cases (the jump alarmed global investors and prompted a selloff on equity markets), China still won’t let Americans participate in a WHO-sponsored team of 12 researchers who are traveling to the mainland.