Antifa: “We didn’t come here to talk”

Antifa: “We didn’t come here to talk” by  for The Daily Sheeple

Police in Portland, Ore. declared a “civil disturbance” Saturday evening as members of far-right groups and far-left members of Antifa continued to skirmish hours after conducting dueling demonstrations in the center of the city.

Just after 4:30 p.m, Portland Police Bureau spokesperson Lt. Tina Jones said that anyone gathered near the intersection of SW Park Avenue and SW Morrison Street “must now leave the area immediately.” Jones added that the number of demonstrators was “dwindling” to about 400 people from a peak of around 1,200 people.

Authorities said at least 13 people were arrested but did not immediately release further details. Earlier in the day, police tweeted images of weapons it had seized from multiple groups, including bear spray, shields and metal and wooden poles.

Police said one injured person was taken to a local hospital, but no further information about the victim was released. Four others had been evaluated by Portland fire medics. All the injuries were considered to be minor. Another individual was treated for a medical condition unrelated to the demonstrations, Jones said.

Jones said that there had been “limited interactions” between individuals and called witnesses to submit information about potential criminal activity to the police.

Flag-waving members of the Proud Boys and Three Percenters militia group began gathering late in the morning, some wearing body armor and helmets. Meanwhile, black-clad, helmet and mask-wearing Antifa members were also among the several hundred people on the streets. The groups gathered on both sides of the Willamette River, which runs through the city.

Authorities used sound trucks and loudspeakers to remind demonstrators both sides to stay out of the streets or they would be arrested. They also set up concrete barriers and closed streets and bridges in an effort to contain and separate the rival groups.

While local TV stations claimed there was little violence, reporters from both Quillette and the DCExaminer were reporting differently and posting video on Twitter to back up their reports.

Andy Ngo, the reporter from Quillette that was attacked by Antifa in June recognized the ‘shirtless man’ who was instigating much of the violence from a protest in Seattle.

Julio Rosas of the Washington Examiner was later confronted by the ‘shirtless man’ who demanded that he leave.

Eventually, the Portland Police arrested the man, who has not yet been publicly identified but is apparently well known to police on the west coast.

Elijah Schaffer with also posted images and video of his experience:

As mentioned earlier, one person was transported to the hospital, but it is unknown if the man in this video tweeted by Andy Ngo was that person.

At 3:30 p.m., with the clashes abating, a group of left-wing protesters gathered at Pioneer Square and streets near it, where they continue to march and chant, blocking streets and prompting the civil disturbance declaration from police around 4:15 p.m.

Later in the afternoon, police made more arrests, then pulled out of the area, leaving a mostly quiet crowd that by 5:30 p.m. had dwindled to about 100 people. By 6 p.m., few people remained.

The Proud Boys put out a news release late Saturday afternoon saying they would return to Portland monthly unless Mayor Ted Wheeler “takes charge and removes the scourge of violent domestic terrorists from his city,” referring to Antifa.

At a 6 p.m news conference, Wheeler thanked police for what he described as a mostly nonviolent event. Police Chief Danielle Outlaw said the bureau achieved its two goals for the day: keeping people safe and allowing the public to exercise its free-speech rights.

Outlaw said officers were involved in six “force events,” one involving pepper balls and the others takedowns of people resisting law enforcement. She reported six injuries occurring, none of which were related to interactions with police officers, she said.

Those arrested face disorderly conduct, interfering with police, resisting arrest and weapons charges, she said.

Delivered by The Daily Sheeple

Sharing is caring!