Discover these effective and NATURAL remedies for anxiety
Discover these effective and NATURAL remedies for anxiety by: Zoey Sky – Natural News
In 2013, a whopping 8.2 million cases of anxiety were recorded in the U.K. alone. Women were twice as likely to develop an anxiety disorder compared to men. Thankfully, various studies have confirmed that there are several natural remedies that can help address anxiety. (h/t to PsychologyToday.com.)
What is anxiety?
The American Psychological Association defines anxiety as “an emotion identified by worried thoughts, feelings of tension, and physical changes such as increased blood pressure.” Individuals who have anxiety disorders have a tendency to avoid certain situations because they’re worried.
The symptoms of anxiety and a panic attack may include dizziness, an overwhelming feeling that you’re losing control, a rapid heartbeat, sweating, trembling, or a tightness in the chest.
Anxiety can be scary and it often exhausts you both mentally and physically. People experience anxiety in their own way, and they may have either long-, short-term, or ongoing symptoms.
8 herbal remedies for anxiety
Regardless of if you have mild symptoms or suffer from full-blown panic attacks because of anxiety, you need to find an effective method of coping. Living in a perpetual state of distress and tension may severely affect your quality of life, and this highlights the need for effective natural supplements to ease the symptoms of anxiety.
The herbal remedies listed below can help relieve anxiety and they also offer other health benefits.
- Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng) — Ashwagandha means “smell of horse.” In Ayurvedic medicine, this herb is traditionally used to treat aging, anxiety, and low energy. It is also an adaptogenic herb, which means it belongs to a class of healing plants that can help “balance, protect, and restore the body.” Ashwagandha can balance the hormones that contribute to anxiety. Additionally, the herb can help induce relaxation and aid sleep.
- Chamomile — Drinking a cup of chamomile tea before sleeping can help you relax and give you a good night’s sleep. Chamomile is a gentle and effective way to treat anxiety. It can also help soothe digestion issues and encourage sleep.
- Kava kava — The kava kava plant is a popular remedy for anxiety and it promotes relaxation. Kava kava is available as different products and it is commonly used in pill form. Kava kava root also promotes muscle relaxation and improved cognitive ability. Take note that the natural supplement may interact negatively with alcoholic drinks.
- Lavender — Lavender oil is often used in aromatherapy because it helps promote relaxation. If you have anxiety, you can take lavender pills or use its essential oil. Lavender can also help encourage sleep, another aspect of life that is often negatively affected by anxiety. Put a pot of lavender in your bedroom or use a lavender pillow spray to improve sleep quality. (Related: A primer on how to use essential oils to alleviate stress and anxiety.)
- Lemon balm — Lemon balm is often found in capsule form, but it is also available as an extract. Taken either alone or added to an herbal tea, lemon balm can help address the symptoms of anxiety and encourage relaxation. Lemon balm can also help soothe digestive issues and headaches. Aside from relieving anxiety, lemon may also improve mood and reduce stress.
- Passion flower/Passionflower — The passion flower vine has a calming effect, making it a suitable remedy for anxious people who often feel restless. The vine may cause sleepiness, so take this remedy before going to sleep. Other species of passion flower can help treat stomach problems.
- Rhodiola/Golden root/Roseroot — Rhodiola is another adaptogenic herb. It helps you control and manage stress. Rhodiola can encourage calmness and relaxation and it’s also a natural stress-reducing remedy.
- Valerian root — Valerian is often used as a sleep aid by people with insomnia, which can usually be caused by anxiety. It can also help relieve anxiety and promote relaxation. Since it has an unusual smell, valerian root is often taken in pill form.
Living with anxiety means dealing with negative symptoms that may affect your daily life, but this doesn’t mean you can’t find an effective way of managing and reducing these symptoms. Anxiety is also a normal reaction when dealing with new or daunting experiences, but it shouldn’t dominate your life.
If you want to avoid prescription drugs for anxiety that may have negative side effects, consider these natural and effective remedies instead.