The Easiest Way to Store Emergency Water

The Easiest Way to Store Emergency Water By Jason Hanson – Laissez Faire Books /

In this week’s mailbag, I’ll reveal my favorite way to store emergency water, the best way to communicate across the country (or the globe) after a disaster, what you need for covert cooking during a crisis and more.

Take a look.

Where can I order water containers? I need both portable ones and large drums. Thank you for your help.

— Pat Y. 

One of my favorite ways to store water you can take with you is with WaterBricks water storage system. Each container holds 3.5 gallons of water and has a comfortable easy-grip handle. In addition, they’re easily stackable — you can use them to build a flood barrier, Trombe wall, hunting blind, even a fort for your kids to play in.

In other words, WaterBricks are great for saving space and small enough that you can grab them and go in an emergency. You can also use them to store food. To stock up on WaterBricks for your family, click here now.

As for where to get larger 55-gallon water drums, you can find these at Costco, Home Depot or many places online. They will run you anywhere from $60–100. Personally, though, I prefer WaterBricks because they’re easy to store and transport.

I received my flashlight order. Not sure what size batteries it takes. Doesn’t look like AA or AAA. Help?

— Roy R.

Actually, the SEAL Torch 2000 tactical flashlight can take either three AAA batteries (inserted into the battery holder circled in the picture below) or one 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable battery (inserted directly into the flashlight).


If you remember, in last week’s mailbag I recommended Panasonic eneloop batteries, which you can purchase on Amazon. These alkaline batteries can be recharged up to 2,100 times — so they’re a much better investment than disposable AAA batteries.

I know you addressed this problem before, but I did not quite understand the solution. Is there a way to communicate with someone located on the other side of the country or in another state when there is no telephone or cellphone service? Is it with a radio that requires a license? What kind of radio?

— Tony L. 

In my experience, the No. 1 method for communicating over long distances during a disaster is with a satellite phone. I’ve used a sat phone in remote parts of the world many times, and I can tell you that this is the best way to stay in touch.

Continue Reading / Laissez Faire Books />>>

Sharing is caring!

Chris Campbell

Licensed Under Creative Commons