How Europe Cheats On Iran’s Nuclear Agreement
How Europe Cheats On Iran’s Nuclear Agreement from Moon of Alabama
The Trump administration wants to abolish the nuclear agreement with Iran. The big European countries want to keep the formal agreement but are actively looking for other reasons, specifically Iran’s ballistic missiles, to put new sanctions on Iran. A detailed look into the issue reveals that those European countries are willfully misreading the relevant UN resolutions and mislead the public about their real motivations.
Elijah Magnier just published an excellent piece on the history of U.S. attempts to restrict Iran in the Middle East and to again put it again under its tutelage. He touches on the nuclear deal with Iran and the Trump administration attempts to abolish it. The deal was cosigned by three European countries, the United Kingdom, France and Germany, as well as by Russia and China. Magnier writes:
Iran will not re-negotiate the nuclear deal and relies on Europe to stand firm, confirming its signature and commitment. Europe is in need of Iran because the Islamic Republic is part of the continent’s national security and an advanced guard against terrorism. Europe has had enough of wars [… .][The] Iranians and their allies are the partners Europe is looking for, ready to stand back from the US, that faraway continent that is less vulnerable than nearby Europe to terrorism and terrorists.
That assessment of the European position is wrong.
- The European governments care about terrorism just as much as the U.S. government does – which means they do not care at all. Remember that the war on Libya, with the help of Qatari paid Takfiris of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, was cooked up by the French President Sarkozy and the Britain Prime Minister Cameron a full year before it happened. Ghaddafi was killed, Libya drowned in blood and terrorism thrived. The blow back came in May 2017 when a Libyan Takfiri blew himself up and killed more than 20 people in Manchester UK. No one was held responsible. Instead the Europeans repeat the same scheme in Syria and are still supporting the terrorist assaults against the legitimate Syrian government.
- These Europeans want Iran back under a strict sanction regime just like the U.S. wants it. They Europeans do not want to formally break the nuclear agreement. (They might fear that some companies would file for indemnity.) But they are actively looking for ways to circumvent it. They want to provoke Iran into breaking the agreement by claiming that Iran’s ballistic missile program is in violation of the nuclear agreement and the relevant UN resolutions. If they use the issue to apply unilateral sanctions or to “snap back” old ones, Iran has little choice but to declare the agreement null and void.
- German For Min says understands U.S. reaction to Iran missile test – Feb 3 2017
- France, Germany want Iran to reverse ballistic missile program – Dec 4 2017
- EU countries defend nuclear deal with Iran and express concerns over Tehran’s ballistic missiles … – Jan 11 2018
- Germany weighs new sanctions against Iran – report – Jan 20 2018
Germany is lobbying among European allies to agree new sanctions against Iran in an attempt to prevent U.S. President Donald Trump from terminating an international deal curbing Tehran’s nuclear programme, Der Spiegel magazine reported on Saturday.
- France says Iran not respecting U.N. text on ballistic missiles– Jan 22 2018
These European countries say they are under pressure from Trump to offer something and are therefore taking up the ballistic missile issue:
The strategy could include threatening Iran with targeted economic sanctions if it does not agree to curtail its ballistic weapons arsenal, which the West believes contains longer-range missiles potentially capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
But why would anyone believe that Trump would not just take whatever Europeans offer and simply continue on his path. If Trump wants to break the nuclear agreement the Europeans should let him do so and not risk to add to the damage.
Moreover – the claim that these Europeans are moving against Iran’s ballistic missiles because of Trump is deeply dishonest. The same European countries started their campaign about the alleged Iranian ballistic missile violation under then President Obama. As DW reported on March 30 2016(!):
The United States and its European allies have accused Iran of defying a UN Security Council resolution by launching nuclear-capable missiles.The US, Britain, France and Germany leveled the charges Tuesday in a joint letter addressed to Spain’s UN ambassador and UN chief Ban Ki-moon. In the letter, US and European officials said Iran’s recent ballistic tests involved missiles capable of delivering nuclear weaponsand were “in defiance of” council resolution 2231, adopted last July.
Iran had launched missiles that were “inherently capable of delivering nuclear weapons,” the letter said. It called on the Security Council to discuss appropriate responses to Tehran’s failure to comply with its obligations.
That 2016 letter itself was based on two lies. As discussed in detail below the UNSC Resolution 2231 (2015) does NOT prohibit any ballistic missile activities in Iran. It especially does NOT prohibit missiles “inherently capable of delivering nuclear weapons”. It does not even “demand” such. Iran acted as much “in defiance” as someone who rejects an “obligation” to “suck on this” (vid).