Political Responses to Terror Are Sorely Lacking – This is NOT Good Enough
Political Responses to Terror Are Sorely Lacking – This is NOT Good Enough by Mark Angelides – IWB
After yet another terror attack in the city of London, once again the political elites have marshaled their ideas and forces and done absolutely nothing. It is becoming almost a joke, and would be funny if it weren’t for the tragic loss of life that accompanies these attacks, Politicians, who are tasked with defending the nation, seem unable to muster anything more than empty platitudes…It’s just not enough.
So far today, I have read the responses of the British Prime Minister, the Mayor of London, The Foreign Secretary and the leader of the opposition…All were bland and completely unhelpful. They talked about how their thoughts were with the victims and their families (fortunately no deaths in this one), and gave praise to the emergency services. Oh, and encouraged us to get on with our lives as usual.
But I don’t think this is anywhere near enough. In fact, I would say that this response is basically no response at all. Why is it that action is not being taken when the answers are not that tricky to figure out? If I were of a more paranoid bent, I would suggest that it is because they do not want to stop the terror attacks, or the ensuing division that is created in society.
According to the European Union’s chief of Terrorism, there are likely 25,000 to 35,000 “at risk” suspects presently living in the United Kingdom and not enough resources to deal with them all. Now call me crazy, but doesn’t it seem that there are some simple measures that could be taken to , if not eradicate, at least lessen the threat?
Here’s my Desert Island Top Five for dealing with Britain’s Islamic terrorism threat:
- Any person who is on the Government “Watch List” and is not a citizen of the United Kingdom should be immediately deported.
- No visas should be granted for entry for people who cannot pass a basic terrorism background check. This will be easier once the UK has extricated itself from the EU. It is, in fact, this vetting process that Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic are using and the reason that the EU is trying to sue them for not taking in their “quota of refugees.”
- Returning Jihadis should be imprisoned immediately upon their return to the UK (or if not British citizens, deported).
- Prosecute anyone found to be working with or aiding terrorism to the full extent of the law.
- Prosecute those who refuse to their duty for “fear of being called racist.” This was the case in Rotherham where the police and local councilors refused to investigate Muslim grooming gangs for fear of upsetting the local Muslim community. This resulted in 1,400 young British girls being sexually assaulted, trafficked and raped.
These are not extreme measures, but they are measures non the less. The question is why are they not being done RIGHT NOW!