10 Probiotic Foods That Improve Digestion Promote Heart Health and Reduce Depression
By Twain Yobra
You can get probiotics from supplements or foods. To get them from you diet you need to eat fermented foods. Here are 10 foods rich in probiotics.
1. Kefir: Kefir eliminates digestive problems and fights off infections, according to research. To make kefir you simply mix kefir grains with milk (cow or goat), then ferment it for 12 to 48 hours.
2. Yoghurt: Yoghurt is very filling and rich in nutrients. And it contains the good bacteria since it’s made from fermented milk.
Studies show it can be beneficial to people with bowel movement problems, high blood pressure, and weak bones. Always go for plain greek yoghurt to avoid the excess sugar in regular yoghurt.
3. Kimchi: This food is a fermented food popular in Korea. It’s made with cabbage and different spices like ginger, garlic, scallion, and chili. It’s also rich in vitamin K, iron and vitamin B2.
4. Tempeh: This fermented food is perfect food for vegetarians. It’s made from soybeans and it’s high in protein. It’s actually one of the non-meat foods that are rich in vitamin B12.
5. Sauerkraut: According to Wikipedia, sauerkraut is finely shredded cabbage, that has been layered with salt and left to ferment. This food can last for months when stored in airtight containers. Sauerkraut is also rich in fiber, and antioxidants.
6. Pickles: Pickles are cucumbers that have been fermented in salt and water. Note that you won’t get probiotics if you make pickles with vinegar.
7. Miso: Miso is popular in Japan. It’s made from soybeans, koji (a type fungus), and salt. It can actually lower risk of cancer. The proof is in this study, where women who took miso soup regularly had lower risk of breast cancer.
8. Kombucha tea: This is basically green or black tea which has been fermented. Kombucha tea has many other benefits.
9. Natto: This fermented food is made from soybeans. Studies show it can improve cardiovascular health and bone health.
10. Cheddar cheese: You can get probiotics from cheddar cheese and other types of cheese including, cottage, gouda, and mozzarella cheese. Cheese is also rich in vitamin B12 and calcium.