If the world were 100 people, and all assets 100 M&Ms: experiencing the 1% owning more than all 99% combined
by Carl Herman, Washington’s Blog I wrote that Credit Suisse documents in Global Wealth Report 2015 that the world’s wealthiest 1% now own more assets than Earth’s 99% combined. Here’s a revealing 3-minute video from 2013 on the wealth transfer from “former” colonized countries to their “former” imperial masters: … and just ‘cuz it’s 30-seconds, consider a moment more of who’s “developing” whom: To visualize this pyramid of wealth inequality/poverty, imagine 100 people with a total of 100 M&Ms to be divided among them. This is the approximate wealth analogy reported by Bank Suisse:
- 1 person has 50 M&Ms.
- 7 people have 5 each.
- 22 people have one half an M&M each.
- 70 people have ~1/20th of an M&M; literally taking 3-4 M&Ms to smash, then dividing the tiny pieces among 70 people.
Please take a moment to feel what 70% of human beings have: a fragment of goods and services necessary for a fulfilled life. Communicating to children? If you have a classroom of 33, the breakdown:
- 1 person has 65 M&Ms.
- 1 person has 20.
- 7 people have one and one half an M&M each.
- 24 people have ~1/20th of an M&M; literally taking 2 M&Ms to smash, then dividing the tiny pieces among 24 people.
For a classroom of 25:
- 1 person has 70 M&Ms.
- 1 person has 16.
- 5 people have 2.5 M&Ms each.
- 18 people have ~1/20th of an M&M; literally taking 1 M&M to smash, then dividing the tiny pieces among 18 people
How much human suffering does this material lust cause? Immense suffering: 30,000 children die daily from preventable poverty, despite since 1969 these 1%-and-above wealth and political “leaders” of so-called “developed” and “former” colonial powers have promised to “end poverty once and for all, forever.” The total poverty deaths since just 1995 are ~400 million; more than all wars and violent deaths in recorded human history. Please also note that “inhumane acts intentionally causing great suffering or serious bodily injury” is the legal definition of “Crimes against humanity.” Given several world summits for presidents, prime ministers, and royalty that all global poverty can be ended with provable and simple methods, and for less than 1% of developed nations’ income (appropriately less than 1% of profits extracted from areas suffering poverty during colonialism), and that the end of poverty has been promised at the highest levels of government multiple times only to be reneged, current policies that allow ongoing poverty-deaths are intentional and therefore criminal. Importantly, please confirm these economic facts that what we receive for economic leadership is literal criminal fraud:
- increasing national and total debts from having what we use for money created as debt owed to private banks,
- decaying infrastructure getting uglier from “deferred maintenance,”
- real unemployment near 25% with most families demanding both parents work longer and longer hours,
- real inflation well above official reports,
- US poverty of 20% among children,
- 72% of California students in schools with over half the children classified as “socio-economically disadvantaged,”
- a .01% oligarch class that “legally” hide $20 to $30 trillion in offshore tax havens,
- a rigged-casino economy designed for “peak inequality,”
- “too big to fail” banks demand public subsidies (so-called “bailouts”) while gambling with over $200 TRILLION in derivatives,
- these “too big to fail/jail” banks deriving most of their income from subsidies and apparent market manipulations,
- Daily and never-ending Orwellian criminal-complicit lies of corporate media.