Steve Scalise is in CRITICAL condition: House majority whip’s condition is downgraded after surgery following baseball shooting
- James T. Hodgkinson opened fire on the GOP team at Eugene Simpson Stadium Park in Alexandria, Virginia
- House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was shot in the hip and left a trail of blood as he tried to crawl to safety
- His condition was said to be critical on Wednesday afternoon after undergoing surgery
- Zachary Barth, a staffer for Texas Rep. Roger Williams, was also shot but is expected to make a full recovery
- Ohio Rep. Brad Wenstrup, who tended to Scalise, said he was unable to locate a bullet exit wound
- Two US Capitol Police officers – identified as Krystal Griner and David Bailey – were injured exchanging gunfire
- The shooter was eventually shot dead by Capitol Hill officers who were accompanying Scalise to the practice
- Hodgkinson, a staunch Bernie Sanders supporter, carried out the shootings on Trump’s 71st birthday
- President Trump said before Scalise’s surgery that he was a ‘true friend and patriot’
- Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. Mo Brooks and Rep. Brad Robert Wenstrup all gave first aid to their injured teammates
- The team was practicing ahead of a Thursday night charity game when they were targeted
House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was in a critical condition in hospital on Wednesday afternoon after he was shot by a Trump-hating gunman who opened fire on Republican congressional baseball practice.
The Louisiana congressman was shot in the hip as he stood on second base at the field in Alexandria, Virginia at 7am on Wednesday. His staff initially described his condition as ‘stable’ but the Medstar Hospital in Washington DC later said that Scalise was in critical condition after having surgery.
He was among five injured when James T. Hodgkinson, 66, opened fire on the Republicans with an assault rifle from the third base dugout at Eugene Simpson Stadium Park in Alexandria, Virginia, as the group practiced batting at around 7.00am.